Thursday, June 21, 2012

pre-departure jitters

bring on the craziness! the days are winding down and i can feel the pressure. i feel like i have prepared myself very well and probably just need to relax. my summer class ends tomorrow, my last day at work is sunday, and i fly out on tuesday. i'm busy trying to make sure i take care of everything i need to before i leave and relax and enjoy the time i do have at the same time.

i started packing... and it looks a bit like a tornado went through my living room. it actually was a bit easier than i thought it was going to be.. but i would say i'm only about half way done. i just hope that when i'm finished my bag is under 50 pounds. i'm bringing one large suitcase and packing a smaller carry on suitcase inside of it. the plan is to put everything i buy while i'm gone in the carry on so i don't go over my weight limit with all the good things i'm going to bring home. i have everything packed that i won't need until the trip and it appears i'm also bringing a small pharmacy as well. we were advised to bring any of the OTC medication that we frequently use because it may not only be different but not come in the same strength. and to be quite honest, i trust what i know... so i think i've prepared myself for almost any situation.

i've been talking a bit with other people that will be in my program trying to figure out what everyone else is doing to prepare for various things and make plans for various things we want to do when we arrive. i found out that i will be meeting a couple other people in Chicago that will be on my flight to London. it puts me at ease a bit.. i'm so worried that i'm going to land and not be able to function... i'm sure i'll be fine.. but the possibility is still there.

i can't even tell you how many times i've been asked "are you excited about your trip?" and depending on what's going on in that part of my day people have been getting all sorts of answers. the answer is yes, but i'm just a ball of emotions. i'm excited/nervous/anxious/sad all at the same time. of course i can't wait to go.. this will probably be the only time in my life where i can put my entire life on hold for a whole month and experience the world. what isn't exciting about that? i'm lucky that i have family that accepted this crazy idea when i threw it at them. i'm lucky to have dean that has listened to every detail of planning this trip and has continued to encourage me. and for those reasons.. it makes me hesitant to leave. my support system is here. everything i know and am comfortable with is right here. my life is a security blanket. i'm about to take an adventure that is completely unknown to me. i don't know what to expect and that's what freaks me out the most. i know i'll be fine. i'll adapt quickly to the new lifestyle and the spanish way of doing things. so although i'm scared about what's to come i'm excited too. it's going to be a wonderful experience and i'm going to have the time of my life.

i am happy to say that the next time i post something i'll be in london. :) so stay tuned for more posts and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment